"It’ll be just a simple site, I can do it in a day." - Have you ever heard yourself saying that? It always starts like that, but you end up investing way more time mainly because you always get stuck on little details that take forever to solve. I have been playing with JAMstack for quite some time now, but there are still topics that constantly escape my attention. This time, with this website, I decided to go a different route.
We Will Be Twitching
Regarding this website, I decided to discuss each part of it with field experts. I’ll ask them many amateur questions to see if they can teach me how to build the site properly. But! All these sessions will be LIVE, you can join and ask any questions! The plan is:
- January 22, 2020: Is JAMstack suitable for anything more than a landing page/microsite?
Am I actually heading down the right way, or should I use a different stack? Where are the limits of JAMstack?
Recordings: part 1, part2
- January 29, 2020: Static site and yet it moves!
How do I achieve personalization of the site when attendees don’t have any accounts? Can I personalize a static site?
Guest: Michael Kinkaid (CTO @ReasonOne)
Recordings: part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4
- February 5, 2020: DevOps platforms, how do I choose one?
Where can I deploy the site, and do I have to do it every time I change something? What are the differences between services, and how easy is it? Will my dollars stay in my pocket?
Guest: Sean Steefel (Sr. Automation Engineer @ Valorem Reply)
I added a new feature to the site, and it broke everything. How do I ensure that what I’ve already implemented stays functional? Are tests important, or am I just wasting time?
Guest: Michal Vanzura (Senior QA Engineer @Kentico)
- February 20, 2020: React or Vue? Gatsby or Gridsome? Which JS framework is better? Which static site generator is easier to use? How do I decide?
Guest: Richard Shackleton (UI Architect @ Netconstruct), Ville Säävuori (Web Developer)
- February 26, 2020: DevOps—how do I actually set it up?
Build, deployment, content change, trigger, webhook, web service. How do I set it all up so I never have to touch it again?
Guest: Floyd May (Independent Consultant)
- March 6, 2020: Comparison of serverless function providers
Dynamic functionality needs to live somewhere. Where do I deploy these pieces of code, and how do the providers compare?
Guest: Michael Jolley (Developer Advocate @ Vonage)
- March 11, 2020: Static site and SEO
How does static site help SEO? What are the tools to ensure search engine robots index the site correctly and how can you increase your chances for a top position?
Gatsby + SEO video, Gatsby + HTML lang
- March 18, 2020: JAMstack and accessibility
Not all of your visitors are desktop users with perfect vision. Ensuring accessible websites for visitors with disabilities should be a standard part of project development for all agencies. But are there any gotchas when using JAMstack? What is the low hanging fruit in terms of accessibility?
- March 25, 2020: JAMstack and e-commerce, does this work?
Do you want to buy raffle tickets online?
- April 2, 2020: Static site and offline mode
How to ensure my site keeps working when the internet connection goes down? Should I care?
- April 8, 2020: JAMstack and identity management
How do you authenticate people on a static site?
- April 22, 2020: Globalization and caching
There are multiple language versions on almost all sites. How can we add multiple languages to a JAMstack site, and how much does it complicate the site implementation?