Clone existing projects
Cloning a project is useful when you want to reuse what you have already created. You can copy the content model as well as the content itself. If you want to test breaking changes to your project, use environments for safe testing without fear of breaking your live project.
Table of contents
Clone a project
Cloning a project will create a new project that is a copy of the source project. You can choose whether to clone the project with its content or without it.
You need to be a subscription admin for the project you want to clone.
- Click your initials in the bottom-left corner and select Projects.
- On the card of the project you want to duplicate, click More actions.
- Click Clone project.
- Type a name for the new project.
- Select the subscription the project will fall under.
- Consider your subscription limitations for the maximum number of roles and languages that can be included in the plan.
- Select a data center for your data.
- (Optional) If you want to exclude content items and assets, clear Include content items and assets.
- Click Clone project.
Avoid changes during copying
Making changes to the source project while it is being copied could negatively impact the clone. Please wait to make changes until the cloning is completed.
There are a few things to keep in mind when creating a project copy:
- The time to clone your project depends on the size of your project (for example, cloning a project with 1,000 content items can take 15 minutes).
- Once the project content is cloned, you can work with the project in Kontent.ai while the Delivery API data is being set up.
- We recommend that you do not use the Delivery API on the cloned project while its content is being prepared because you could get incomplete data.
What gets copied
- Always included:
- Content types
- Content type snippets
- Users (only subscription admins)
- Optionally included when you select Include content items and assets:
- Content items (including localized variants)
- Contributor assignments (only subscription admins)
- Due dates
- Comments (author names and mentions of users who aren't subscription admins will change to Unknown user)
- Never included:
- Revisions of content items (only the published and latest versions are cloned)
Create projects based on a template
Another way to clone a project is to use it as a template when you're creating a new project. This may come in handy if you're an agency and create projects for your clients based on one prepared content model, for instance.
Click your initials in the bottom-left corner and select Projects. Then, click Create new project and select an existing project as a template. The rest is the same as with cloning a project.
Moving a project under a different subscription
Subscription admins of both the original and the target subscriptions can move a project between subscriptions using project cloning.
- See how to choose a data center for your project.
- Set up a common production flow for your project and see how roles and content workflow work together.
- Start inviting contributors to your project.
- Find out how Kontent.ai backs up your data and what to do in case of a data loss.
- Use the Kontent.ai Template Manager to migrate data between projects.
- Share content between projects directly in the UI or programmatically by using Kontent.ai Delivery SDKs.