Create new versions of content items
There are times when you need to update a content item while keeping its current version published. For example, while making updates to the content of an article published on your website that you want to keep visible to the public even while you update.
In such cases, you need to create a new version of the content item.
Table of contents
Creating new versions
- In Content & assets, click a published content item to open it.
- In the notification bar at the top, click Create a new version.
- If the action isn't available, go to Environment settings > Workflows and check the limitations for the Published step.
The workflow step of the content item changes to its initial workflow state (usually Draft).
Kontent.ai creates a new version of the content item, and the previous version stays published. This new version of the content item becomes enabled for editing. You can keep track of the published and draft versions of your content items by comparing versions in the version list.
Before you publish a new version, you can preview how it looks. Once you publish your changes, the currently published version of your content item gets replaced by the new version.
Created a new version by mistake?
To discard your item's latest version, under More actions, click Discard version.
You can still find your discarded content among the content item’s old versions.
- If you want to hide a content item from public view, see Unpublishing content items.
- Preview unpublished content to check your new version before publishing it.
- If you want to plan ahead, see Scheduling content publishing.