Import to Kontent.ai
If your company has been on the market for some time, it has most likely piled a lot of content already. With the existing content, moving to a different CMS doesn't mean that you need to create everything from scratch. Migrate to Kontent.ai and make the start easier for you.
Importing content also gives you a great opportunity to review what content your company has. Verify that the content is still relevant and update it as necessary.
Table of contents
- Kontent.ai is an API-first platform so migrating content to it is possible. You can use different ways to achieve that.
- For the import, choose one of the tools available or use the Management API.
- Use migration as an opportunity to do a content audit where you evaluate what content is still relevant.
Import what makes sense
Avoid the fluff in your existing content and do a proper content audit before the migration. Not the one where you check just the broken links but the one where you make sure that your existing content isn't ROT (redundant, outdated, and full of trivial content). Why would you import content no one needs?
Check your web analytics to see your top content types and content items. Analyze how your current content serves these search queries and how it helps you achieve your goals.
Another great activity is holding an internal content modeling workshop to see if your content model serves different channels, devices, and users. You might discover that you have great content for conversational interfaces but you can't use it because of the way it was modeled a few years back. Or that your content works well on a website but isn't a good fit for voice interfaces or home assistants.
Importing to Kontent.ai can be done using one of the tools available for it.
Pause your notifications
Before you start the migration process, you might want to temporarily disable your webhooks. This way, you'll avoid receiving a lot of unnecessary notifications. Once you're done importing, make sure to enable webhooks again.
- Kontent.ai CLI – allows you to modify your Kontent.ai projects, including migrating existing content to Kontent.ai, through the command line. You can also use it to modify your project's content model.
- Kontent.ai Migration Tool for Contentful – helps you with content migration from Contentful CMS.
- Kontent.ai Template Manager – enables you to migrate content between two Kontent.ai projects. It's especially useful when you work for a digital agency and have a prepared boilerplate project that you copy for your clients.
- Kontent.ai Backup Manager – helps with backing up and restoring Kontent.ai projects. Opposed to the Template Manager, you can control the Backup Manager via the command line or through your code.
For more complex migrations, use the Management API. It will give you the flexibility of importing content with a more complicated structure and logic, which is typically the case when migrating higher volumes of content.
Write a script or an application that will parse the content from its original format and send it to Kontent.ai in JSON. The original content can be in any format, for example:
- A database from another CMS such as WordPress
- An XML file
- A CSV file
- A text file
To enable the Management API:
- Go to Project settings.
- Under Environment settings, switch to API keys.
- On the Management API card, toggle the Inactive switch to activate the API.
- Copy the API key.
You will use the API key to authenticate your requests.
Choosing the right tool for importing content will save you time when setting up Kontent.ai.
- Continue to the tool of your choice. If you've chosen the Management API, read on how to import content items, assets, rich text, or linked content. For other content elements, check out descriptions of all elements in content types and all elements within item variants in the API reference.
- Validate the content of your project after your import process is finished to check for possible issues such as references to missing content items.
- Set up Kontent.ai if you've just started so that it can provide the maximum value.
- Find out how Kontent.ai backs up your data and what to do in case of a data loss.