Kontent.ai complies with NIST AI RMF.
What is NIST AI RMF and why it matters
The NIST AI Risk Management Framework (AI RMF) is a set of recommendations designed to help organizations manage risks associated with the design, development, deployment, and use of artificial intelligence systems. It emphasizes the importance of governance, mapping, measuring, and managing AI risks throughout the AI system lifecycle.
The AI RMF is significant because it provides a structured approach to AI risk management, ensuring that AI systems are developed and used responsibly, ethically, and with an understanding of the potential impacts on individuals and society. It helps organizations align their AI practices with legal and regulatory requirements, as well as ethical standards, thereby fostering trust and confidence in AI technologies.
The NIST AI RMF offers a playbook with suggested actions for achieving the outcomes laid out in the AI RMF Core, which includes four functions: Govern, Map, Measure, and Manage. These functions provide a comprehensive approach to AI risk management, ensuring that policies, processes, and practices are transparent, effective, and aligned with organizational risk priorities.
- Govern – Policies and structures for AI risk management and align them with the legal, ethical, and societal aspects of AI.
- Map – Identifies the AI risks, impacts, objectives, stakeholders, data, and scope in a specific application context.
- Measure – Assesses the risks and monitors the performance and trustworthiness of the AI system using various methods and metrics.
- Manage – Implements and maintains the policies and procedures for managing AI risks throughout the AI lifecycle and provides training and education for the staff and partners.
How to work with this document
This document is intended to guide organizations in implementing AI risk management practices. It is not a checklist but rather a set of voluntary suggestions that can be adapted to various industry use cases or interests. Organizations are encouraged to use the information by incorporating relevant suggestions into their AI risk management strategies.
The document outlines actions and considerations for each sub-category within the AI RMF functions, providing a framework for organizations to document their AI risk management efforts and enhance accountability.
Download a PDF version of this material and see the table for the shared responsibility model of activities to follow NIST AI RMF recommendations to mitigate the risk of using the AI system.
NIST AI RMF Compliance
Even though the NIST AI RMF is not mandatory for AI solutions, Kontent.ai makes an extra effort to follow these recommendations to implement and provide AI in a secure and responsible way. Also, documenting our AI risk management practices, including but not limited to:
- Legal and regulatory considerations specific to industry and AI applications.
- Standardized documentation policies for AI systems, including information on AI actors, training data, algorithmic methodology, and testing results.
- Policies for measuring AI systems impact risk levels and risk tolerance decisions.
However, customers are also responsible for using Kontent.ai’s AI products and services in a way that aligns with their own organizational goals and values, as well as ethical, legal, and social norms and expectations. Therefore, both Kontent.ai and its customers need to follow the best practices given by NIST AI RMF to better manage the risks and impacts associated with AI and their respective roles and responsibilities.
Information in this whitepaper is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.