Content-as-a-Service or CaaS is an integrated, enterprise-wide approach to content operations and management that’s collaborative, connected, and agile. Instead of using multiple standalone CMS applications, enterprises can access a Content-as-a-Service platform to execute content decisions. CaaS acts as an “operating system” for an organization’s content strategy.
CaaS provides a backbone to support an enterprise’s entire content ecosystem, connecting and integrating people, processes, data, digital and media assets, and IT systems within a single content hub. By providing a unified service, CaaS enhances collaboration and automation of content operations across the enterprise. CaaS builds upon best practices relating to content strategy and technical management of information.
Some important characteristics of CaaS are:
- Silo-busting: CaaS connects different teams and systems across the enterprise on a single platform so they can work together
- Low maintenance: the services upgrade continuously so they’re ready to address new customer expectations and business needs
- Technology agnostic: CaaS can work with any enterprise technology or application, current or future
- Clearly structured: content is created and defined with structure (based on a content model), improving the precision, flexibility, and reuse of content, and eliminating duplication and redundancy
- Stakeholder empowering: CaaS offers a focused and connected experience for planning, authoring, and reporting. It allows collaboration between diverse stakeholders who have responsibilities relating to content. Everyone, whether technical, creative, or product-focused, can use the same service instead of relying on different applications
- Channel complete: CaaS can deliver any kind of content to any delivery channel (multichannel or omnichannel)
CaaS allows everyone in an enterprise to use a common cloud-based service to handle all content that’s published. As subscription service, CaaS reduces the technical barriers to creating and delivering more precise and impactful content to customers. CaaS allows organizations to focus on the content that is needed, rather than be distracted by the technical and logistical details of how content is produced.