Backup and restore
Kontent.ai regularly backs up your data to keep it safe and sound. Learn what you can do if you accidentally delete some of your data and what options you have for creating a backup strategy on your end.
Table of contents
How Kontent.ai backs up customer data
We back up all data that is saved in Kontent.ai. The frequency of backups varies based on the type of data:
- Content and assets are backed up continuously, with the possibility of point-in-time restore.
- Project-related data, such as workflows, roles, or project settings, is backed up continuously as well. The same goes for the subscription and user-related data.
- For long-running tasks, such as project cloning or scheduled publishing, we back up your data daily.
In short, we back up all the Kontent.ai data except for your payment details and user login information.
Continuous vs. incremental backup
In Kontent.ai, your data is backed up continuously, meaning a backup is created every time a change is made. As opposed to incremental backups, you're not at risk of losing data created between two scheduled backups.
Where's Kontent.ai being hosted?
By default, your project data is stored in the data center that you selected when creating the project. Your content and project-related data are then automatically backed up to physically separate data centers within Microsoft Azure services. This way of data backup is also called zone redundancy, offering an extra layer of protection for your data stored in Kontent.ai.
Your assets, subscription data, and user-related data are backed up using geo-redundancy, meaning that the physical locations of data servers replicating your data are in a completely different location from your primary data center. This provides added safety for your data in the unlikely event of one server going down.
What is the process in case of a data loss?
Data loss happens if someone deletes project data (be it content, structural metadata, or project settings) in the Kontent.ai UI or via API. If this happened to you, be sure to immediately stop interacting with the project to prevent auto-saves that would complicate the whole restoration process.
We recommend you contact our support via the chat button with the following information:
- Project ID – ID of the project that was affected
- Information about the deleted data – for example, content item name and ID, affected element ID or its codename
- Estimated timeframe – the date and time when the data was deleted
Customers can recover accidentally deleted data if requested within 14 days after the date of deletion. After this time period, deleted data cannot be restored.
The restoration process and its price highly depend on the type of data that was deleted and the severity of the accident.
Options to manage backups on your end
We recommend you set up a backup process on your end to prevent data loss. You have several options that Kontent.ai provides out-of-the-box and each option comes with a different set of benefits:
- New environment – creating a new environment can be a quick way of managing your backups directly in Kontent.ai. You can swap the environments so that the backup environment becomes the production environment. You can also automate the whole process via the Management API.
- Project cloning – cloning a project can be a convenient way of creating a project backup as you create a full stand-alone project. You can also choose whether to clone the project with its content or without it. However, the revision history, tasks, and environments don't get copied. Be aware of your subscription plan limits when cloning projects.
- Backup manager – with the Kontent.ai Backup Manager, you can automate and schedule your backups by running a custom script. Note that the items' workflow step, revision history, and roles are not preserved after restoring your data. Be sure to validate your project for inconsistencies before creating backups.
We also advise that you archive content first, and only delete content after you're absolutely sure it's no longer needed. Archived content can be restored via Kontent.ai UI with appropriate permissions.